Covid 19 May Update
We are operating as normal both from the office and working remotely. More info here
Keep up to date with the latest RH & RW Clutton news
Wed 6 November 2019
ONE STEP CLOSER TO MANDATORY ELECTRICAL SAFETY CHECKS
Landlords will already be aware that they are responsible for ensuring that the electrics in their rented properties are in good, safe working order.
Our understanding is that The Secretary of State is now able to introduce regulations for mandatory electrical safety checks and the following recommendations are likely to be made to Parliament :
· Five yearly mandatory electrical installation checks.
· Visual checks of the safety of the electrical installation at a change of tenancy.
· Landlords hold a report confirming that an EICR has been completed along with confirmation that any remedial work necessary has been undertaken satisfactorily.
· Testing of landlord supplied electrical appliances and to encourage visual checks of electrical appliances at a change of tenancy.
· Encourage landlords to install Residual Current Devices (RCDs) as good practice.
· Setting up a separate Private Rented Sector electrical testing competent person’s scheme.
· DCLG should introduce an Electrotechnical Assessment Specification (EAS) management committee to set a standard for ‘competent PRS testers’.
· Copies of EICRs should be issued to tenants at the beginning of the tenancy and should be made available to local authorities on request.
· A two phase approach to the legislation to begin with new tenancies, followed by all existing tenancies at a later date.
Further information can be found at :
RH & RW Clutton continues to recommend to their landlord clients to have the electrics and electrical appliances in their rental properties routinely tested and inspected.
Should you have any queries relating to this or any of the other recent changes in legislation for privately rented properties, please contact Sam Benson in our East Grinstead Office on 01342 410122 or SamB@rhrwclutton.co.uk